The Official RONR Q & A Forums

dismantling assembly

Guest Jack O'Dwyer

The board of the assn. that I write about, which sets the agenda for the annual Assembly of about 270 delegates elected by 110 chapters, this year proposes to "dismantle" the Assembly for much of the afternoon--divide it into about 20 "chat groups" that will discuss topics and report back to the convened Assembly later in the afternoon. Although Robert's (the parliamentary authority for the group) says boards are "subordinate" to such assemblies, that is not the case with this organization. Does Robert's allow dis-assembling an assembly?

"dis-assembling" -? Not in so many words (it isn't a concept found in RONR) but it sounds as though the Board -- although more strictly a member of the association who happens to be a board member, too -- just is proposing that the assembly recess and the people then go off in little groups and talk freely about your issues. Sort of a "caucus" RONR, p. 586.

Perfectly OK as long as a majority wishes to do so.

"dis-assembling" -? Not in so many words (it isn't a concept found in RONR) but it sounds as though the Board -- although more strictly a member of the association who happens to be a board member, too -- just is proposing that the assembly recess and the people then go off in little groups and talk freely about your issues. Sort of a "caucus" RONR, p. 586.

Perfectly OK as long as a majority wishes to do so.

I agree with Dr. Stackpole, although I think RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 524-525 addresses this topic more directly.

Archived