The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resginations

Guest Carl Hemeon

Recently the President, 1st VP, Secretary and Treasurer resigned. Not all for the same reason, just the same time.

The only elected positions still held were 2nd VP and Sgt at Arms.

The 2nd VP has assumed the duties as President and the Sgt at Arms is now 1st VP.

The President (or perhaps Acting President) then appointed an interim Secretary and Treasurer.

He also called for a by-election to filled the vacant seats.

I assume the vacant seats are now:

2VP, Treasurer and Secretary since the elected officers who did not resign ascended to their new positions when the resigning officers vacated their positions.

Is this correct?

One of the officers who resigned insists that the 2VP must return to his original position and that we elect a new President in the by-election.

Please clarify.

Thank you in advance.

Carl

You will need to check those bylaws about lines of succession but nothing in RONR supports the Sgt At Arms moving into the VP position. So as of right now (unless the bylaws say differently) the filled offices are President (the 2nd VP leapfrogged into the Presidency-RONR p. 442) and Sgt At Arms (RONR doesn't support him moving anywhere)and since nothing in RONR supports the President appointing interim officers every other office is vacant.

Just to be clear.

The Sgt at Arms is an elected officer, like the 2nd VP.

Is it not normal that the elected officers ascend the chairs when an office is vacated?

This appears to be what you are saying in regards to the 2nd VP but apparently not with the Sgt at Arms.

If the Secretary had not resigned, would they not ascend to the next chair up?

I appreciate your time on this matter.

I though I had a clear understanding when I had spoked to a local registered Parliamentarian.

I guess I was not as clear as I thought.

Carl

Just to be clear.

The Sgt at Arms is an elected officer, like the 2nd VP.

Is it not normal that the elected officers ascend the chairs when an office is vacated?

This appears to be what you are saying in regards to the 2nd VP but apparently not with the Sgt at Arms.

If the Secretary had not resigned, would they not ascend to the next chair up?

I appreciate your time on this matter.

I though I had a clear understanding when I had spoked to a local registered Parliamentarian.

I guess I was not as clear as I thought.

Carl

No officer automatically moves up to become President (or any other officer) except for the Vice President(s). RONR p. 442 says:

In case of the resignation or death of the president, the vice-president (if there is only one) or the first vice-president (if there are more than one) automatically becomes president for the unexpired term, unless the bylaws expressly provide otherwise for filling a vacancy in the office of president. The second vice-president, if there is one, then becomes first vice-president, and so on, with the vacancy to be filled occurring in the lowest-ranking vice-presidency.

Archived