The Official RONR Q & A Forums

proxies

Guest teri c

Hi,

The use of a proxy

Background. The organization is incorporated and regarding proxy are by-laws state: "Each member entitled to vote at a meeting of the members may authorize another person to act for him or her by written proxy, but no such proxy shall be valid after 3 months from the date of execution."

My question is: must the proxy be specific to the item on the agenda to have it be valid in addition to having the date be valid? If this is the case, because our by-laws are silent regarding this issue, can you give me the citation that Robert's Rules uses to support this rule?

As the issue deals with a state statute, I would recommend you ask a lawyer about this. Perhaps the statute allows the organization to clarify the issue, or it actually mentions it.

I think you may have misread something in the original post. I don't see anything to suggest that state statutes are involved (although it is certainly possible that they are, given that this is an incorporated society and the matter deals with proxy votes). It seems quite clear, however, that the quoted language is from the organization's Bylaws, so the society should consult RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 570-573 and perhaps a professional parliamentarian.

I think you may have misread something in the original post. I don't see anything to suggest that state statutes are involved (although it is certainly possible that they are, given that this is an incorporated society and the matter deals with proxy votes). It seems quite clear, however, that the quoted language is from the organization's Bylaws, so the society should consult RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 570-573 and perhaps a professional parliamentarian.

I suspect that any professional parliamentarian will tell teri that proxies need not be specific to items in the agenda unless the organization's governing documents or applicable law require such a thing (RONR certainly doesn't), and since she says that the governing documents contain no such requirement, she appears to be halfway home. :)

Archived