The Official RONR Q & A Forums

How to document voting tally errors

Guest Oops

At a recent meeting, a motion to limit debate was made and seconded. There were 23 yes and 7 no votes out of 41 voting members. As Secretary, I mistakenly proclaimed the motion failed (23/41 < 2/3, rather than 23/30 > 2/3) and debate proceeded. My question is how to document this error in the meeting minutes. My first thought was something like the following:

“Motion to limit debate for 30 minutes. Seconded. 23 approved, 7 opposed. The motion passed (2/3 majority) but was incorrectly announced as failed.”

Suggestions?

At a recent meeting, a motion to limit debate was made and seconded. There were 23 yes and 7 no votes out of 41 voting members. As Secretary, I mistakenly proclaimed the motion failed (23/41 < 2/3, rather than 23/30 > 2/3) and debate proceeded. My question is how to document this error in the meeting minutes. My first thought was something like the following:

“Motion to limit debate for 30 minutes. Seconded. 23 approved, 7 opposed. The motion passed (2/3 majority) but was incorrectly announced as failed.”

Suggestions?

The minutes should reflect what actually happened. If you announced the motion defeated then the minutes should reflect that the motion was defeated (even though it shouldn't have been). Also, unless the vote was ordered to be counted, a roll call vote was taken, or the vote was taken by ballot there is no need to include the numbers in the minutes. Noting if the motion was adopted or defeated is enough.

Suggestions?

A motion to Extend or Extend Limits of Debate is a subsidiary motion that shouldn't be reported in the minutes in any case (RONR pp. 451-455).

Additionally, the secretary should not announce the outcome of a motion; that is the presiding officer's duty.

Archived