The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal by Board of Directors of the President and then the new elections

Guest Steve Babbitt

A Board of Directors of an organization decided they didn't want the President-elect to become the President, so they decided to vote her off by simply calling a BOD meeting and voting for it. This I believe cannot be done without following RR. The current Bylaws do not address it.

In September is the annual meeting and the election of Officers. The current BOD has moved the Treasurer into the President position and has other candidates for the President-elect, Treasurer, and Secretary. If the ousted President-elect does not want to challenge this situation, don't all the officers need to be voted on and elected, since there is not a President-elect who can asend to the President position?

A Board of Directors of an organization decided they didn't want the President-elect to become the President, so they decided to vote her off by simply calling a BOD meeting and voting for it. This I believe cannot be done without following RR. The current Bylaws do not address it.

The power to do this would have to be in the bylaws or higher governing document. If it's not there, it doesn't exist.

In September is the annual meeting and the election of Officers. The current BOD has moved the Treasurer into the President position

I'm having trouble guessing what this means.

and has other candidates for the President-elect, Treasurer, and Secretary. If the ousted President-elect does not want to challenge this situation, don't all the officers need to be voted on and elected, since there is not a President-elect who can asend to the President position?

If this was not done in accordance with the bylaws, then the President-Elect has not been ousted, and, generally speaking, during the election of officers, officers need to be elected, yes. ;)

Archived