The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Holding E-Board

Guest Tnbillin

I was wondering is there anything in Robert's Rules about when/if it is appropriate to hold E-Board. For example last semester we had only 10 members total but our e-board made up 8 of them, so two people were excluded during E-Board. I thought there was a rule saying that if E-Board made up more than a certain percentage of the group then you couldn't hold the meetings, but I couldn't find it in the book. I could be wrong but I thought I would ask to be sure about it. Any info on this would be appreciated. :)

Also I was a little confused about closing E-Board meetings. Can you close an E-Board meeting to other members? We had an issue the other day in which our President who was personally involved with the situation at hand, closed our E-Board and set a member out of the room to discuss them,as well as 3 other members, then voted on a punishment for this members behavior and never gave the member a chance to defend themselves. Is this right according to Robert's Rules of Order? Can E-Board discuss a member with out the member being present,and then decide on a reprimand without hearing from the party that was accused?

I was wondering is there anything in Robert's Rules about when/if it is appropriate to hold E-Board. For example last semester we had only 10 members total but our e-board made up 8 of them, so two people were excluded during E-Board. I thought there was a rule saying that if E-Board made up more than a certain percentage of the group then you couldn't hold the meetings, but I couldn't find it in the book. I could be wrong but I thought I would ask to be sure about it. Any info on this would be appreciated. :)

There is no such rule.

You can close board meetings to nonmembers of the board (pp. 92-3).

You were wrong. There is no such rule. Board meetings should be held in accordance with your bylaws. Check the bylaws to see what they say on the subject. A section on Executive Board should outline when board meetings are held, and if special meetings are authorized, it should state who can call them and what notice is required.

Also I was a little confused about closing E-Board meetings. Can you close an E-Board meeting to other members?

Only members of the board have a right to attend board meetings, unless your rules state otherwise. So, nonmembers of the board can be thrown out (gently) at the will of the board, and if they are misbehaving, they can be thrown out at the discretion of the presiding officer.

We had an issue the other day in which our President who was personally involved with the situation at hand, closed our E-Board and set a member out of the room to discuss them,as well as 3 other members, then voted on a punishment for this members behavior and never gave the member a chance to defend themselves. Is this right according to Robert's Rules of Order? Can E-Board discuss a member with out the member being present,and then decide on a reprimand without hearing from the party that was accused?

No, what you're describing does not appear to be in accordance with RONR. While a board does have a right to exercise some disciplinary measures on its members, this would only relate to misconduct in a meeting, in which case the member or members in question could be excused from the room (slightly less gently), but such members should be allowed to present a defense. However, it sounds like you're dealing with a different situation altogether -- one where an offense was alleged to have been committed somewhere other than in a meeting. In this case, a trial would be necessary and the board would not be involved, unless your rules state otherwise. See RONR (10th ed.), Section 61.

Archived