The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Revotes

Guest Lisa

I have a question regarding the official rules concerning revotes. I was told that a revote could only take place during the meeting in which the original vote was taken. I was also told that the revote could only be called for by someone how voted FOR the original proposal. I am seeking a way to overturn a previous decision, and was told a revote could not happen. I was also told that if someone brought up the subject of a revote, they would be ruled out of order. Any comments/suggestions?

I have a question regarding the official rules concerning revotes. I was told that a revote could only take place during the meeting in which the original vote was taken. I was also told that the revote could only be called for by someone how voted FOR the original proposal. I am seeking a way to overturn a previous decision, and was told a revote could not happen. I was also told that if someone brought up the subject of a revote, they would be ruled out of order. Any comments/suggestions?

A re-vote (Reconsideration) has a very limited time that it can be made (unless you posted this message while still in the meeting it is almost certainly too late to move to Reconsider) and only someone who voted with the prevailing side can move to Reconsider. See RONR pp. 305-325 for the details on the motion in all its glory.

However, if the motion was defeated it can be renewed at any session (for most organizations a session is the same as a meeting). See RONR pp. 325-331. If the motion was adopted then it can be Rescinded or Amended (assuming that the motion hasn't been fully executed yet). See RONR pp. 293-299.

I was told ..........I was also told..........and was told ........ I was also told .............

Any comments/suggestions?

Yes. When you are "told" something like this, ask to see proof, either in RONR or your bylaws. It may be right (as in this case thrice), may be wrong (as in the case once). Then come here and ask just to be sure. :)

It may be right (as in this case thrice), may be wrong (as in the case once).

Well, I suppose that, depending upon the exact circumstances, the first three may be either right or wrong, but the last (ruling the member out of order) would appear to be the wrong thing for the chair to do unless things really get out of hand. :)

I was also told that if someone brought up the subject of a revote, they would be ruled out of order.

Chris H. has described the correct rules regarding reconsideration, renewal, and rescission, but I think this issue should also be addressed. It is important for the chair to make a distinction between ruling a motion out of order and ruling a member out of order. The latter implies a violation of decorum. See RONR, 10th ed., pgs. 37-38.

Archived