The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Who can vote and engage in discussion?

Guest Matt

Hello,

We have a situation where a small board may have a member move to kick another member off our board. Our meetings are conducted with all members present and therefore once this motion is called, is that member now "unallowed" to engage in the debate and susequent motions?

I ask this because consider this potential scenerio; Member B moves to kick out Member A. Member C seconds this motion. Member A is sitting there...must he/she leave the room during discussion? Then I imagine Member D will state "Objection to Consideration" (because she is friends with Member D) and this takes a 2/3 vote of whom, the Board minus Member A?

Thanks for your help with this!

Matt

We have a situation where a small board may have a member move to kick another member off our board. Our meetings are conducted with all members present and therefore once this motion is called, is that member now "unallowed" to engage in the debate and susequent motions?

You need to follow whatever rules the bylaws have for the Board removing a Board member. I am assuming that the Board has the authority under the bylaws to discipline their own otherwise they can't do it.

Hello,

I ask this because consider this potential scenerio; Member B moves to kick out Member A. Member C seconds this motion. Member A is sitting there...must he/she leave the room during discussion? Then I imagine Member D will state "Objection to Consideration" (because she is friends with Member D) and this takes a 2/3 vote of whom, the Board minus Member A?

Thanks for your help with this!

Matt

The board doesn't have the authority to remove one of its members unless such power is specifically given to it.

It's best that an individual member not prefer charges. See RONR (10th ed.), p. 632, l. 32 - p. 633, l. 13.

In any event, no member can be denied the right to attend a meeting or vote, just because another makes a motion.

Archived