The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Duties of Vice president.

Guest Galen Lutz

I, as president of a local small organization (12 board members) would like input on the following circumstance.

Our Vice President is often called for extensively long periods of time by FEMA. That means I don't know when the VP will be available. In my opinion, this is not a compatible condition. I need someone to preside in my absence. I have health problems which arise suddenly. Although I am seldom absent for our monthly meetings, I still need someone I can count on to be there for me and the rest of the board.

I, as president of a local small organization (12 board members) would like input on the following circumstance.

Our Vice President is often called for extensively long periods of time by FEMA. That means I don't know when the VP will be available. In my opinion, this is not a compatible condition. I need someone to preside in my absence. I have health problems which arise suddenly. Although I am seldom absent for our monthly meetings, I still need someone I can count on to be there for me and the rest of the board.

If the both the President and VP is not present at the meeting the Secretary (or another member if the Secretary is absent as well) would call the meeting to order and preside over the election of a Chair pro tem. The Chair pro tem would preside until a) the end of the session (for most organizations a meeting and a session are the same thing), B) the President or VP show up, or c) the assembly elects a new Chair pro tem (RONR p. 437).

If you are of the opinion that the VP's long absences constitute neglect of his duty as Vice President and wish to remove him from office, see FAQ #20.

If you are looking for input on whether you should remove the VP from office, that is not our place to say. Talk to other members of your organization about that. Chris H. has provided another option if the organization does not wish to remove the VP.

Could I not refuse to run a meeting or meetings without at least an acting or pro-tem vice president? I ask this because there are some very important matters coming up. We have 2 meetings (monthly meetings) before our general meeting, a big annual event, immediately after which our election of officers is held.

Could I not refuse to run a meeting or meetings without at least an acting or pro-tem vice president?

Any properly called meeting may conduct business provided that a quorum is present. This means that, even if you are not present, they can elect a president pro tem and conduct business. You do have a difficult situation. Some suggestions are to 1) Cultivate a board member who would be understood as your choice to moderate the meeting if you and the VP are not present (they don't have to do that, though); 2) get the bylaws amended to allow for election of a second VP (he/she will preside it you and VP are not present); 3) accept that the situation is not prefect (but hardly anything is).

-Bob

Could I not refuse to run a meeting or meetings without at least an acting or pro-tem vice president?

There is no such position unless it is defined in your Bylaws. The assembly may, however, elect a Chairman Pro Tempore at a meeting if the President and VP are absent. Given the circumstances, it certainly seems appropriate to find someone who would be willing to serve in such a role, but he would not actually be elected to the position until needed.

Archived