The Official RONR Q & A Forums

president changes the secretary's minutes prior to distribution

Guest Terry

I take the minutes at the board meeting using notes which I then transcribe that same day into the minutes of the meeting. The President of our organization requires a copy of these minutes to be given to her for review prior to them being distributed to the board members. She makes changes to my wording and also adds names and statements that were sometimes not said at the meeting. These changes minutes are then sent electronically to the members and it is the first time that I see the changes to my minutes.

How do I handle this situation?

Unless the rules of the organization state otherwise, the President cannot force you to provide her with copies in advance. If the President can always ask to see the Minutes, but you do not have to provide them in advance of the meeting. If the Board likes to see the draft copy in advance, then send out the copy to everyone at the same time and do not provide the President with an advance draft copy.

No rule in RONR requires the secretary to provide the draft copy of the minutes to anyone, nor give the President the authority to demand so, in advance of the meeting at which they will be approved. If your bylaws or other rules do, that's another story.

It sounds as though (some of) the changes she is making (statements made during debate, names in some cases perhaps) do not belong in the minutes anyway. With few exceptions, the minutes are a record of what was done at the meeting, not what was said. And they should be an accurate record of what actually happened, as they are an official document of the organization.

When the minutes are to be approved, the Chair should ask for, and allow, any corrections to them, including the removal of incorrect or extraneous information. Corrections are generally handled by unanimous consent, or a majority vote in case of any dispute of the corrections. You would be able to offer such corrections as well.

Unless the rules of the organization state otherwise, the President cannot force you to provide her with copies in advance. If the President can always ask to see the Minutes, but you do not have to provide them in advance of the meeting. If the Board likes to see the draft copy in advance, then send out the copy to everyone at the same time and do not provide the President with an advance draft copy.

Thank you.

No rule in RONR requires the secretary to provide the draft copy of the minutes to anyone, nor give the President the authority to demand so, in advance of the meeting at which they will be approved. If your bylaws or other rules do, that's another story.

It sounds as though (some of) the changes she is making (statements made during debate, names in some cases perhaps) do not belong in the minutes anyway. With few exceptions, the minutes are a record of what was done at the meeting, not what was said. And they should be an accurate record of what actually happened, as they are an official document of the organization.

When the minutes are to be approved, the Chair should ask for, and allow, any corrections to them, including the removal of incorrect or extraneous information. Corrections are generally handled by unanimous consent, or a majority vote in case of any dispute of the corrections. You would be able to offer such corrections as well.

Thank you, this is most helpful.

Archived