The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy voting...allowed or not?

lawlives2

Attached is a copy of our bylaws. As you will read, the ONLY time that "proxy voting" is mentioned is in the paragraph relating to removal of a member, in ARTICLE V, paragraph E.

We have a member arguing that it was intended that members be allowed to vote via proxy at any time; however, it is only mentioned in paragraph E, the removal paragraph. The argument is that because it is under ARTICLE V - MEETINGS, it applies to ALL meetings.

I do not read that to be the case, and I am seeking assistance from any of you who may be able to clarify. As the sentence allowing proxy voting only appears in paragraph E, I read that to be the only time we accept a proxy vote. I believe that if it was intended to be allowed, it should have appeared as it's own paragraph explaining how and when proxy's would be accepted. Therefore, outside of a removal situation, proxy voting is not allowed in our organization. Anyone? Thank you in advance for your assistance.

bylaws blank name.doc

This forum is intended to be about RONR and can't dip into individual organization's bylaws.

Interpretation of ambiguous or unclear provisions will be up to the association: RONR, p. [588 / 570]*

If you want a professional parliamentarian to look them over...

If you anticipate that you might

have continuing parliamentary

difficulties or problems you

might want to get in touch with

a real live professional

parliamentarian in your area

(not virtual ones like us)

for consultations.

Contact either (or both) the ...

National Association of Parliamentarians

213 South Main St.

Independence, MO 64050-3850