The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Overriding a Presidential Veto

Guest Parliamentarian

Guest ParliamentarianPam

The President according to our constitution and bylaws have the power of veto, and our bylaws allow for the board to overrule the veto, I was just unsure as to when something like this would be brought up, under new business or unfinished business?

The President according to our constitution and bylaws have the power of veto, and our bylaws allow for the board to overrule the veto, I was just unsure as to when something like this would be brought up, under new business or unfinished business?

I don't see how this would fit into the definition of "Unfinished Business," as found in RONR (11th ed.), p. 358, ll. 1-8.

Robert's Rules of Order is totally silent on this, as your organization has a very unusual rule that is simply not covered anywhere.

If I had to guess, a motion to override the president's veto would be an incidental main motion and would normally be in order during new business. I can think of some other interpretations as well, though it is certainly not unfinished business in the sense that we understand based on Robert's Rules.

In sum, your organization will need to decide all this for itself.

If the announcement of the veto is part of the president's report(item 2 on p. 25 in RONR, 10th Edition, which was the latest edition anyone on Earth had until a couple weeks ago, and now look), I have argued (and been shot down) that the motion to override the veto arises from the report, and can be brought up then (p. 345 in the unjustly newly-reviled 10th Edition). Similarly, if the committee reports (during committee reports) that it has been vetoed, you can try the overriding then.

Archived