The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Striking item from minutes

Guest Lonnie

Recently we had an item voted on on then after the meeting it was determined to be not legal

The action was included in the minutes and the president has now directed the Sec to strike it as if the action never happened.

My understand is it was an action right or wrong and should be included

Recently we had an item voted on on then after the meeting it was determined to be not legal

The action was included in the minutes and the president has now directed the Sec to strike it as if the action never happened.

My understand is it was an action right or wrong and should be included

Your understanding is accurate. The assembly is not entitled to rewrite history by amending the minutes. The minutes should be an accurate record of what was done.

Also, the president has no authority, by RONR, to alter the content of minutes or the secretary's draft of minutes. The content of the minutes is the responsibility of the assembly.

Thank you

As the action was retracted after the meeting should then be an action by the bod in a special meeting or the next bod meeting so it appears in the next set of minutes

There was discussion of adding a note or letter to the minutes explaining the action after the meeting. My understanding isit will require a bod action to reverse the action not a note. Therefore what happened in the meeting stands until a bod meeting special or normal and bod action at that meeting with appropriate minutes?

Thank you

As the action was retracted after the meeting should then be an action by the bod in a special meeting or the next bod meeting so it appears in the next set of minutes

There was discussion of adding a note or letter to the minutes explaining the action after the meeting. My understanding isit will require a bod action to reverse the action not a note. Therefore what happened in the meeting stands until a bod meeting special or normal and bod action at that meeting with appropriate minutes?

No, the action was not retracted after the meeting because decisions cannot be made outside of a meeting. The board is free to hold a special meeting or act at the next regular meeting to rescind or amend its decisions at the last meeting, and those actions would be recorded in the minutes of that future meeting.

A president who attempts to falsify the minutes of the organization is leaving himself open to disciplinary action, whether he knows it or not.

Archived