The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Supervisor suspending special meeting

Guest smckamey

My question is this. I live in Michigan and residing in a Township that is wrongfully performing duties.

When (3) out of (5) members of a Township Board calls a special meeting can a Supervisor walk in, open the meeting and then suspend a meeting that she didn't even call? According to what I read in the MCL she cannot do that but I would like to know what Roberts Rules of Order calls out because they have adopted Roberts Rules of Order

MI law will supersede RONR if there is any conflict.

That said RONR does not give a "supervisor" any such suspension powers. RONR doesn't even know what a "supervisor" might be.

Ask your super to show you the RONR rule (she won't be able to, of course) or the MI law (that she might be able to do -- I have no way of knowing) that gives her the "suspension" authority.

can a Supervisor walk in, open the meeting and then suspend a meeting that she didn't even call?

No but . . .

The presiding officer (presumably the Supervisor) could have called the meeting to order, noticed the snow piling up outside, and stated that, if there were no objections, the meeting would be adjourned ("suspended") until next Tuesday.

I'm not saying that's what happened. I'm saying that could have happened.

Did anyone say anything (like, "We're staying!") when the Supervisor "suspended" the meeting? That would have been the time to speak up.

Yes -

There was a motion to continue meeting and a second. She told all the board members that she would not allow them to continue the meeting and would not let them take it to a vote.

She cannot impose her will on the assembly; the meeting ends when the board says it does. The correct thing to do in a situation like this would be to raise a Point of Order regarding the issue, and when you get ruled against, make an Appeal. Be sure to have a copy of the rules handy, with citations - in this case, you particularly want to point out the lack of text anywhere in the book saying that the presiding officer can adjourn a meeting unilaterally.

Yes -

There was a motion to continue meeting and a second. She told all the board members that she would not allow them to continue the meeting and would not let them take it to a vote.

Why? (she did give a reason, didn't she?) I mean, it's not like you were meeting in your living room or something, right? And you provided proper notice, right? So...... again, why?

She cancelled the special meeting because another lady and myself wrote a letter to the board telling them of wrong doings within the township board. The board members who were concerned about these called a meeting to meet with us and ask us to explain the letter to them. She did not want to address these issues at this time because she had not gathered all of the information she needed. We have found some falsification of records and that was part of it. She rules like a dictatorship and I explained to her majority vote is all that matters even if she doesn't agree. This particular Supervisor used to run her own business and she is used to a dictatorship but that doesn't work if you are running a Township Board. She fails to realize that she is only 1 vote. She is the moderator (agent) of the board not the ruler and these are the tactics that she uses when she doesn't get her way.

As others have said, when the presiding officer rules on some matter - based on the presumed faulty advice from the chair - raise an appropriate point of order. (Parliamentarians don't "rule", only the chair does.)

Get a copy of RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening.

And read up on part IV.

As others have said, when the presiding officer rules on some matter - based on the presumed faulty advice from the chair - raise an appropriate point of order. (Parliamentarians don't "rule", only the chair does.)

I think this word was supposed to be 'parliamentarian'.

Also, as a note to the original poster, the ruling of the chair can be challenged (and even overturned) by the assembly.

Given the following from post #8 above:

>> another lady and myself wrote a letter to the board telling them of wrong doings within the township board. The board members who were concerned about these called a meeting to meet with us and ask us to explain the letter to them <<

I think that the poster probably isn't a member of the group that was meeting -- the point of order (and possible appeal from the ruling of the chair) would have to come from a member, of course.

you are correct that I am not a member of the board. But I have (3) members out of (5) members on the board who agree with all the wrong doings of the Township Supervisor. They did not know how to react to this situation. Had it been me I would of asked her if she wanted to participate or not and then moved on with getting a moderator for the meeting by vote.

Archived