The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Adding a Resolution to Agenda - Adoption by 2/3s vote or Majority?

Guest Taylor Abbott

I am part of Ohio University's Student Senate.

Recently, the executives of Senate decided to have a resolution added to the agenda during our regular General Body meeting instead of placing it on the agenda themselves.

When adding a resolution to the agenda, one must make a motion (as I did) to add Resolution 1112-10 to the agenda. At that time, the executives ordered the body to take two-thirds of Quorum vote.

However, many on Senate contest this decision. After reading Robert's Rules, I found that it explicity says a motion requires a Majority vote, and that a 2/3s vote is only to be used for suspending the rules or limiting aspects of a debate.

Was a two-thirds vote the correct way to vote on an addition to an agenda that was yet to be adopted? And if so, were abstentions to count?

The Final two-thirds vote resulted in 18 yea's, 9 no's, and 8 abstentions. Several feel that this vote was not done correctly at all. So which is it: two-thirds vote or majority vote to add a resolution to an agenda?

"When the adoption of a proposed agenda is pending, it is subject to amendment by majority vote. After an agenda has been adopted by the assembly, no change can be made to it except by a two-thirds vote, a vote of a majority of the entire membership, or unanimous consent." RONR (11th ed.), p. 373, ll. 1-6.

I don't know what is meant by "two-thirds of Quorum vote"; under RONR, 2/3 means 2/3 of those present and voting (so since 18 is 2/3 of 27, the motion to add consideration of the resolution to the agenda passed).

It's also unclear what is meant by "executives of Senate." There can only be one presiding officer at a time, and that presiding officer rules, subject to appeal, on the vote required.

I'd encourage you, and the rest of the Senators, to get a copy of RONR In Brief --- it is inexpensive, a quick read, and will better prepare you to research RONR itself (see its Chapter 12 of In Brief ). For example, using the index of RONR (as suggested in In Brief's Chapter 12, p. 108), you could look up "agenda" and under it "changing", which would lead you to the pages giving the governing rules for changing an agenda.

Thank you for your response.

OU's Senate is comprised of three executives: President, VP, and Treasurer. I met with the President and VP and they refused to add the resolution to the agenda and instead said that I could make a motion to add it to the agenda.

When the motion was made to add it, the President of Senate stated that he and the executives decided that in order to add this resolution to the agenda, 2/3s of quorum in the affirmative would be needed to make the addition. You answered my question and provided further evidence to prove that their decision was incorrect.

My next question: Do abstentions count when holding a majority vote to approve a motion?

To back up Dr. Stackpole with a direct quote:

"The chair should not call for abstentions in taking a vote, since the number of members who respond to such a call is meaningless. To 'abstain' means not to vote at all, and a member who makes no response if 'abstentions' are called for abstains just as much as one who responds to that effect." RONR (11th ed.), p. 45, ll. 14-19.

This assumes that nothing in the governing documents of the University Senate impose some unusual basis other than the number of those "present and voting." See generally pages 402-404.

Again, Thank you for the responses and expertise. I do in fact have a copy of RONR in Brief and have referenced it on several occasions this past week while speaking to the president about the vote. I acquired it last Wednesday when seeking references to the complete edition and found it very helpful. I used this forum in hopes of getting an expert opinion and have been successful in doing so. I will urge members of the body and the executives purchase copies for future use. Thank you again.

Archived