The Official RONR Q & A Forums

standing committee conflicts

Guest butchd5

Where in Robert's does it state that one standing committee cannot perform the duties assigned to another standing committee? I found where it states a special committee cannot perform duties which are assigned to a standing committee but I cannot find where it prohibits one standing committee doing another standing committee's business. Any help is appreciated.

Butch

Where in Robert's does it state that one standing committee cannot perform the duties assigned to another standing committee? I found where it states a special committee cannot perform duties which are assigned to a standing committee but I cannot find where it prohibits one standing committee doing another standing committee's business. Any help is appreciated.

Butch

It doesn't say that, and it doesn't say what you say you found it to say, either.

No committee can properly do anything it hasn't been authorized to do, whether or not another committee has been authorized to do it.

You're probably referring to page 492, which prohibits appointing a committee to perform a task that falls within the assigned function of a standing committee.

Thanks for your help. I will check out page 492. Regarding your statement that it does not say what I stated it did, the following is from Section 50 Committees (sorry I am using the Kindle version as my book is at home so I cannot give proper citation):

A special (select, or ad hoc) committee is a committee appointed, as the need arises, to carry out a specified task, at the completion of which—that is, on presentation of its final report to the assembly—it automatically ceases to exist. A special committee may not be appointed to perform a task that falls within the assigned function of an existing standing committee.

Thanks for your help. I will check out page 492. Regarding your statement that it does not say what I stated it did, the following is from Section 50 Committees (sorry I am using the Kindle version as my book is at home so I cannot give proper citation):

A special (select, or ad hoc) committee is a committee appointed, as the need arises, to carry out a specified task, at the completion of which—that is, on presentation of its final report to the assembly—it automatically ceases to exist. A special committee may not be appointed to perform a task that falls within the assigned function of an existing standing committee.

That is the text from 492.

It doesn't say that, and it doesn't say what you say you found it to say, either.

No committee can properly do anything it hasn't been authorized to do, whether or not another committee has been authorized to do it.

You're probably referring to page 492, which prohibits appointing a committee to perform a task that falls within the assigned function of a standing committee.

Well, if a committee cannot be appointed to do such a task, and if no committee may do anything it was not appointed to do, then no committee can perform such a task. QED.

Archived