The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Delayed voting

Guest Confused Chair

Can you tell me if a motion passed if the first vote was 0-1; another vote was taken and was 0-1-1. Chair announced motion failed. Then a member then says he voted for it making the count 1-1-1. Then an additional member says he is for it, making the count 2-1-1.  Did this motion pass?

Can you tell me if a motion passed if the first vote was 0-1; another vote was taken and was 0-1-1. Chair announced motion failed. Then a member then says he voted for it making the count 1-1-1. Then an additional member says he is for it, making the count 2-1-1.  Did this motion pass?

Before Noon tomorrow, let me just ask why votes were trickling in after the result was announced. This is obviously the wrong order. Is the chair not clearly putting the question to a vote?

Can you tell me if a motion passed if the first vote was 0-1; another vote was taken and was 0-1-1. Chair announced motion failed. Then a member then says he voted for it making the count 1-1-1. Then an additional member says he is for it, making the count 2-1-1. Did this motion pass?

Was all of this taking place at a proper meeting (members together in the same room or area at the same time)? I get the feeling the reason votes were trickling in is that the vote was being taken by email or something like that.

Why was another vote taken? After all, it seems the only change noted in the results is that there was an abstention (which almost certainly should have been ignored) added to the count. Additionally, the original vote of 0-1 defeats the motion, and the second vote (noting only one abstention) again defeated the motion, so nothing really changed.

A member may change his vote at any time before the results are announced, and after that must receive unanimous consent from the assembly. (RONR 11th, p. 408) If no one objected (apparently they didn't) to the third and fourth members adding their aye votes to the mix, then it could be construed as unanimous consent to do so.

After the third and fourth votes were added, were the results announced by the chair? That is a fairly important part of the process. As there is no apparent (from the facts offered to far) continuing breach, the (final) results as announced by the chair stand. But it's unclear when that may have happened beyond as noted. But, if everyone agreed to allow votes #3 and #4, the motion passed.

It seems a few more details may help clarify what really happened.

ps. FYI Confused_Chair, less than 90 minutes left before.... well, you know.

Archived