The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Annual Church (Congregational) Meeting

Guest jaxpaxpastor

Howdy, all.

I'm Pastor Bruce, pastor of Christ Church of Peace (Jacksonville, VA), a "congregationally-governed" church that relies on Robert's Rules for our annual meeting protocols.

Here's my question: At our most recent official annual meeting held on Sunday, 10/23, two major orders of business were considered: (1) election of members to our Board of Directors; and (2) approval of our next six-month budget for the "First Half of 2012."

My question regards the second item.

Although our treasurer introduced the budget to be approved for the first half (Jan-Jun) of 2012 by saying, "There's virtually no difference between this budget and the budget the congregation approved for the second half (Jul-Dec) of 2011," AFTER the vote and the meeting, it was noted that both the "heading" on the paper distributed for the budget and the various "line items" listed were all identified as "Draft Budget for Second Half of 2011," and not for the "First Half of 2012."

My question: Given the error, should the "Draft Budget for First Half of 2012" be revisted with a new election?

Thanks for your input!

~Pastor Bruce

Archived