The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When Does a resignation become the property of the body?

Guest Dan Fargo

At what point does the member loose the right to withdraw the resignation? At our last meeting at the close of the meeting I announced I was resigning at the close of the meting (it was not in writing) as President then called for a motion to adjourn the meeting no action was taken on my resignation and the meeting was adjourned. Now we need a special meeting and the Vice president does not feel he can handle the meeting and the President elect for 2012 doesn't take office until January (no regular meeting in December).

In other words is it too late to withdraw the resignation?

Dan

At our last meeting at the close of the meeting I announced I was resigning at the close of the meting (it was not in writing) as President then called for a motion to adjourn the meeting no action was taken on my resignation and the meeting was adjourned.

Did the President or the assembly acknowledge your resignation in any shape or form before adjourning? If so how was it done?

At what point does the member loose the right to withdraw the resignation? At our last meeting at the close of the meeting I announced I was resigning at the close of the meting (it was not in writing) as President then called for a motion to adjourn the meeting no action was taken on my resignation and the meeting was adjourned. Now we need a special meeting and the Vice president does not feel he can handle the meeting and the President elect for 2012 doesn't take office until January (no regular meeting in December).

In other words is it too late to withdraw the resignation?

Dan

If no action was taken on your resignation, as you state, you can withdraw it on your own at any time before it is placed before the assembly.

However, even if you have resigned, it's still possible for the assembly to suspend the rules to allow you or anyone else to preside at the meeting, including the individual who was recently elected to the post of president.

Archived