The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nomination for Board Director

Guest Catherine

Can someone nominate a person for Board Director if they are not present at the meeting? Is there such a thing

as nominating "in absencia"?

I'm not clear on who exactly is absent in your question, so I'll cover both possibilities. During nominations from the floor, it is in order to nominate someone who is not present. A member who is absent, however, cannot make a nomination.

The phrase in absentia is a legal term generally used in conjunction with trials. You could apply it here, I guess, but that would be rather unusual.

I'm not clear on who exactly is absent in your question, so I'll cover both possibilities. During nominations from the floor, it is in order to nominate someone who is not present. A member who is absent, however, cannot make a nomination.

If someone is nominated who isn't present, then if they are elected, they can decline the position as soon as they receive notice of the election; if they do not, then they will be assumed to have accepted the position.

You can nominate someone who is not present, but it's usually a good idea to contact them first, tell them that you plan to nominate them, and ask whether, if elected, they will accept the office. If you can reassure the voters that this is the case, they may be more likely to vote for your candidate.

Archived