The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the Executive Director make a motion at the board meeting?

Guest B. Cavanaugh

Assuming the Executive Director is a member of the board, and about a dozen fewer board members in attendance (see RONR 11, p. 487 l. 26ff), yes. Otherwise, he should refrain from doing so to maintain his required impartiality.

I'm not sure why you're assuming the Executive Director is the chair of the board. That would be an unusual arrangement.

I think your answer would be better if you replaced everything after the first comma with "yes." :)

Unless the board suspends the rules to permit it?

Yes, although it would probably be simpler for a board member to just make the motion himself. In the usual case, the Executive Director would likely conclude his report with any recommendations, and then a board member would make the appropriate motion(s).

Can the Executive Director make a motion at the board meeting?

That would depend on whether the Executive Director is a member of the board, or not. The position (called Executive Secretary in RONR) is usually an appointed and salaried one, and while the ED is usually required to attend meetings (by duties listed in the bylaws or a separate job description), the ED is commonly not a "member" of the board.

You'll need a careful reading of your bylaws, and §47 of RONR, to get a meaningful answer to your question

I'm not sure why you're assuming the Executive Director is the chair of the board. That would be an unusual arrangement.

I think your answer would be better if you replaced everything after the first comma with "yes." :)

I'm not sure why either. :unsure: It just struck me that it was the point behind the question, but indeed your suggestion is a great improvement.

AGnMUm (1)

Archived