The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Board recommendation

Guest Don

Our Exec. Board met to vote on a proposed contract for a "high level" position. The vote was tie.

The Exec Board plans to present the contract to the B.O.D. with " no recommendation". I understand a tie vote means the motion FAILS. Which would mean that the proposal to the board should be they "do not support the renewal contract".

Please advise.

Our Exec. Board met to vote on a proposed contract for a "high level" position. The vote was tie.

The Exec Board plans to present the contract to the B.O.D. with " no recommendation". I understand a tie vote means the motion FAILS. Which would mean that the proposal to the board should be they "do not support the renewal contract".

Please advise.

I don't see a question there, but...

The former seems clearer to me. Reporting that they do not support the contract might be misunderstood to mean that they oppose it, which is not the case, based on your description.

Please advise.

The executive board should report no recommendation, unless a recommendation one way or another is adopted (possibly simply by deciding to present the report containing the recommendation). Defeating a motion is quite different from its opposite. Consider, for example, a motion to support one candidate in a two-candidate election. It is certainly not an endorsement of the opposing candidate if the motion fails.

Please advise.

Based on the facts provided, a report of "no recommendation" is an accurate report of the board's deliberations on the matter.

Archived