The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Meeting changes without a motion

Bzzldy

Can you tell me if available, where I would find this information to show our Board or membership?

Your business manager can only do what your organization has authorized him to do. You won't find anything in RONR about what a business manager can or can't do.

There's a concept known as the burden of proof that can be helpful in situations such as this. When someone, such as your business manager, says he can do something (such as change the dates of meetings), the burden of proof is on him to show you the rule that says he can. The burden of proof is not on you to show that he can't.

Our local bylaws state when our board meetings occur. I'm sorry I do not have the by laws with me currently.

That's okay, I'll take your word on it. It looks like Edgar was spot on in his first post, then. See RONR, 11th ed., pg. 263, lines 1-7. If the Bylaws specify when the meetings occur, the meetings must be held on those dates. At the meeting, the board could choose to continue the meeting at a later date, but no one can reschedule or cancel the meeting in advance.

As you may or may not know, I'm a newbie executive board member for our local union...I sincerely appreciate all the help I can get...and knowledge from you....I am making my way through RONR 11th edition.

You might better start your journey into Parl-Proc by getting and reading...

RONRIB:

"Roberts Rules of Order Newly Revised In Brief", Updated Second Edition (Da Capo Press, Perseus Books Group, 2011). It is a splendid summary of all the rules you will really need in all but the most exceptional situations. And only $7.50! You can read it in an evening.

But it looks as though you are going to have to read your union bylaws, to.

okay your going love this....I got an email yesterday from LU President stating the BM is requesting us (board) to change our meeting to two weeks later in order for us to attend a tenant luncheon (we own the building) and later have our meeting and another get together afterwards. We need to take a vote, text, call or email him back. We have no bylaws regarding email voting or any type of electronic device. I voiced my concern that this meeting would not be valid and also in our members eyes, I did not believe this was a legitimate reason to change the meeting. He has not responded back to me.

We just had our meeting on Friday and the BM could have made a request to the board but he didn't. He did the same the previous month so the reps and him could attend a function out of state. Thus leaving the membership with no representation.

Thank you Dr. Stackpole for the recommendation. I'll order that book on line since we no longer have Border's. I just found a Parlimentary Proc class online will be offered in a couple weeks by Dr. Puette. I'm going to see if I can sign up for that class.

okay your going love this....I got an email yesterday from LU President stating the BM is requesting us (board) to change our meeting to two weeks later in order for us to attend a tenant luncheon (we own the building) and later have our meeting and another get together afterwards. We need to take a vote, text, call or email him back. We have no bylaws regarding email voting or any type of electronic device. I voiced my concern that this meeting would not be valid and also in our members eyes, I did not believe this was a legitimate reason to change the meeting. He has not responded back to me.

Well, regardless of the reason, you are quite correct that an e-mail vote is not valid since your Bylaws do not provide for e-mail voting. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 423, lines 17-25) The board must meet at the scheduled time. At that time, the board could choose to adjourn the meeting to a later date.

Archived