The Official RONR Q & A Forums

email bylaw

Bzzldy

Well, if all you want is to use e-mail for notices, not meetings, and not voting, I would think a Standing Rule would be sufficient.

You would want to get permission from all potential recipients to use e-mail (it doesn't always work as well as the USPS) and set up some administrative responsibility to keep e-mail addresses up to date, &c.

We have over 3000 members located in various units. :unsure: Currently our EB President was using texting by phone for voting of meeting changes or calling until I told him I get charged for each text message. He switched to email now. I told him the meetings are null and void. He told me the direction came from the BM. I think the problem is the unfamiliarity with Parl Proc and hopefully I can get a better understanding from the class with Dr. Puette. :)

We have over 3000 members located in various units. :unsure: Currently our EB President was using texting by phone for voting of meeting changes or calling until I told him I get charged for each text message. He switched to email now. I told him the meetings are null and void. He told me the direction came from the BM. I think the problem is the unfamiliarity with Parl Proc and hopefully I can get a better understanding from the class with Dr. Puette. :)

Since it seems this involves e-mail voting, a Bylaw amendment would be required, and you should refer to the Bylaws for those procedures.

And no, it is not a good idea. :)

Well, if all you want is to use e-mail for notices, not meetings, and not voting, I would think a Standing Rule would be sufficient.

You would want to get permission from all potential recipients to use e-mail (it doesn't always work as well as the USPS) and set up some administrative responsibility to keep e-mail addresses up to date, &c.

For this, nothing needs to be done beyond adopting RONR as the parliamentary authority.

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 89, ll. 16-22.

For this, nothing needs to be done beyond adopting RONR as the parliamentary authority.

See RONR (11th ed.), p. 89, ll. 16-22.

Agreed -- It just seems the better part of wisdom to set out some administrative "policies" in Standing Rules so that all will be clear as to the requirements.

RONR p. 89, l 15 uses the (dreaded) passive voice, leaving open the question of who does the "send[ing]" and maintains lists, &c. Probably the Secretary (or "Corresponding Sec.) but lets be definite!

Archived