The Official RONR Q & A Forums

nominations by list serve?

Guest onemoretime

One of our members wishes to do "floor" nominations early by using our list serve.

Is this allowable?

He would basically put out a list of nominations a week before the nominations committee

reports to the board. His idea is that he wants to nominate these people, so he wants

the membership to be thinking of these people and these "nominees" to be aware that they

will be nominated.

It seems off to me, but I said I would ask here.

One of our members wishes to do "floor" nominations early by using our list serve.

Is this allowable?

Per RONR, nominations are made at meetings. But any member is free to make suggestions to the nominating committee. And the nominating committee is free to disregard them.

However, "nominations by listserve" sounds a lot like an electronic updating of nominations by ballot, mail, or petition. See RONR pp. 436 ff. for special rules pertaining to these three possibilities. You may want to adapt them to the listserve context.

Noms by ballot is seldom seen (at least in my experience) but it might be the coming thing with the I'net in use.

What really counts is the election process. This HAS to be done in person at meetings, unless there are bylaw provisions adopted to authorize a version of "absentee voting".

follow-up question.

could the member use the list serve and just say

"what about these members for office?"

or is that inappropriate?

RONR doesn't govern what happens outside meetings, with a few exceptions. The member is free to say whatever he wants; it has no bearing on what happens at the meeting.

follow-up question.

could the member use the list serve and just say

"what about these members for office?"

or is that inappropriate?

There's nothing wrong with campaigning, but the nominations will have to take place in the meeting.

Is there a particular reason the nominating committee is reporting to the board, instead of to the assembly of the organization?

Is there a particular reason the nominating committee is reporting to the board, instead of to the assembly of the organization?

I don't know the reason, it's in the by-laws that all committees report to the board first.

I revisit of the by-laws is actually on the agenda for the next year.

Archived