The Official RONR Q & A Forums

TWO Motions/Decisions in Place On the Same Issue

Guest Guest

Recently our club's Board made a decision/motion. At the following meeting, the membership made another motion that basically reversed the Board's decision. HOWEVER, the board's decision was NOT amended/rescinded or even voted on. I think that BOTH decisions/motions are in place. Does ONE of them need to be changed/voted on?

Recently our club's Board made a decision/motion. At the following meeting, the membership made another motion that basically reversed the Board's decision. HOWEVER, the board's decision was NOT amended/rescinded or even voted on. I think that BOTH decisions/motions are in place. Does ONE of them need to be changed/voted on?

Why wouldn't that be a done deal?

The situation is too unclear to really give an answer. On one hand, it is probably within the Membership's power to countermand the Board's decision assuming that there is anything left to Rescind/Amend and the item of business is not under the Board's exclusive authority (see Official Interpretation 2006-13 for details). On another hand, since the motion was not actually Rescinded/Amended the motion adopted by the Membership would be null and void unless the Membership vote adopting the motion was great enough to have adopted the motion to Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted (RONR pp. 305-310) if it were made (RONR p. 251). On a third hand, you said a vote wasn't taken in the first place which makes me wonder how you know that the Membership made a decision to start off with. So basically the answer to your question given the information you supplied is it depends.

Recently our club's Board made a decision/motion.

Making a motion is not equivalent to making a decision. Was there a vote taken? Was the motion adopted or not?

At the following meeting, the membership made another motion that basically reversed the Board's decision. HOWEVER, the board's decision was NOT amended/rescinded or even voted on.

Do you mean there was no vote taken on the motion at the membership meeting? Assuming the motion was seconded and debate occurred, did the chair announce a "result" based on what the members said in debate?

My guess is that this means that the membership motion simply didn't mention or acknowledge the existence of the previous decision by the board (not that the membership didn't finish processing its own motion).

If this is the case, Chris H.'s previous comment would apply:

"since the motion was not actually Rescinded/Amended the motion adopted by the Membership would be null and void unless the Membership vote adopting the motion was great enough to have adopted the motion to Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted (RONR pp. 305-310) if it were made (RONR p. 251)."

My guess is that this means that the membership motion simply didn't mention or acknowledge the existence of the previous decision by the board (not that the membership didn't finish processing its own motion).

If this is the case, Chris H.'s previous comment would apply:

"since the motion was not actually Rescinded/Amended the motion adopted by the Membership would be null and void unless the Membership vote adopting the motion was great enough to have adopted the motion to Rescind/Amend Something Previously Adopted (RONR pp. 305-310) if it were made (RONR p. 251)."

But doesn't that apply only when it's the same deliberative assembly?

Archived