The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Presence at meeting and voting

Coleberd

A society of which I am a member has a requirement that members sign in on a sheet indicating their presence at a meeting at the beginning of each meeting. Precedence has allowed a member to sign in and leave after doing so, still counting that member as present during the meeting, for attendance purposes. Quorum requirements are most often met so the presence of a quorum at any given time is not the issue here.

If a vote is to be held that, according to the bylaws, requires a two-thirds vote of members present and voting at any meeting, a question comes up: If that member that has attended the first portion of the meeting and signed the sheet indicating presence at the meeting, and received a ballot for the vote, can that member deposit the ballot when leaving the meeting and would that vote count as either affirmative or negative or would it be dismissed because although they were recognized as having been present, they may not have been present at the time the rest of the ballots were collected? Does presence at a meeting constitute presence for the entire meeting (assuming the quorum has been met and maintained)?

Does presence at a meeting constitute presence for the entire meeting (assuming the quorum has been met?).

No, but . . .

While this may be a bylaws interpretation question, I'd say that any member who voted while being present (which is the only way you can vote) would be counted as "present and voting", even if they left the room at some point during the balloting. I think the sign-up sheet is irrelevant.

If a vote is to be held that, according to the bylaws, requires a two-thirds vote of members present and voting at any meeting, a question comes up: If that member that has attended the first portion of the meeting and signed the sheet indicating presence at the meeting, and received a ballot for the vote, can that member deposit the ballot when leaving the meeting and would that vote count as either affirmative or negative or would it be dismissed because although they were recognized as having been present, they may not have been present at the time the rest of the ballots were collected?

What occurred between the time the member deposited his ballot and the time the rest of the ballots were collected?

Although it is quite unclear, it sounds to me as though other business was transacted in the interim. I'd wonder if you can cast a vote for a question that is not yet pending, if in fact it wasn't at the time. Of course, absentee ballots are cast in advance, but would that concept apply here, that you can fill out your ballot and leave before the question is brought before the assembly?

"can that member deposit the ballot when leaving the meeting and would that vote count as either affirmative or negative or would it be dismissed because although they were recognized as having been present, they may not have been present at the time the rest of the ballots were collected?"

Deposit it where? No one can vote before the polls are open, and then the voting is supervised by the tellers, who must employ the procedures customary in that assembly to ensure an accurate result.

Archived