The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Parlimentarian

Guest Thomas

During one of our recent meetings the subject was brought up about our need for a parlimentarian for our montly meetings. The previously member of our organization that was used as our parliamentarian passed away more than six months ago. I ask our president as to why we hadn't had anyone to reside over our meetings as parlimentarin and his quote was; that we did not need a parlimentarian because he was going to do what he wanted and no parlimentarian was going to tell him what to do. He also contended that hiring a parlimentarin would be too expensive. Robert''s Rules of Order is our adoptive Book of Order for our organization in according with our Constitution and Bylaws. A motion was put on the floor to hire a parlimentarin for our monthly meetings , but it was defeated by the Executive Board members and certain friends of the Presidents. Our meetings are always just as the President and his cohorts want them to be. Is our need for a parlimentarin out of order or is there a violation of Robert's Rules of Order and the Bylaws/

During one of our recent meetings the subject was brought up about our need for a parlimentarian for our montly meetings. The previously member of our organization that was used as our parliamentarian passed away more than six months ago. I ask our president as to why we hadn't had anyone to reside over our meetings as parlimentarin and his quote was; that we did not need a parlimentarian because he was going to do what he wanted and no parlimentarian was going to tell him what to do. He also contended that hiring a parlimentarin would be too expensive. Robert''s Rules of Order is our adoptive Book of Order for our organization in according with our Constitution and Bylaws. A motion was put on the floor to hire a parlimentarin for our monthly meetings , but it was defeated by the Executive Board members and certain friends of the Presidents. Our meetings are always just as the President and his cohorts want them to be. Is our need for a parlimentarin out of order or is there a violation of Robert's Rules of Order and the Bylaws/

If your regular presiding officer doesn't want a parliamentarian there will be little point in hiring one. .

Is our need for a parlimentarin out of order or is there a violation of Robert's Rules of Order and the Bylaws/

Well, the motion to hire a parliamentarian was not out of order and violates no rule in RONR (I have no idea whether it violates your Bylaws, but I doubt it). By the same token, however, it also violates no rule in RONR not to have a parliamentarian (again, I have no idea whether it violates your Bylaws, but I doubt it). So the text does not support your assertion that you need a parliamentarian.

Additionally, if the President has stated that he is going to do what he wants regardless of what the parliamentarian says, there is absolutely no purpose in hiring a parliamentarian, since the primary purpose of the parliamentarian is to quietly advise the presiding officer. If the President ignores the parliamentarian's advice, you're just wasting the parliamentarian's time and the society's money. If you are concerned that the President will not properly perform his duties as chairman, you need a new President.

I would not agree to be hired by an organization where the president would not want a parliamentarian in general or me in particular.

What I suspect J. J. is getting at with the emphasis on "by an organization" is that professional parliamentarians are sometimes hired by an individual member (or a group of members) for the purpose of advising those members. This is often called a "floor parliamentarian," and has little to do with the position of Parliamentarian defined in RONR. This might be a better avenue to explore (at least until you can get a new President). The problem with this, of course, is that you (and whatever other members you can talk into this) will likely have to pay out of your own pocket(s). Both the National Association of Parliamentarians and American Institute of Parliamentarians provide referrals. I would be sure to be clear about the details of this assignment.

You might also wish to read this thread (or at least the first five posts in it - it digressed a bit after that) for further discussion on this topic.

What I suspect J. J. is getting at with the emphasis on "by an organization" is that professional parliamentarians are sometimes hired by an individual member (or a group of members) for the purpose of advising those members. This is often called a "floor parliamentarian," and has little to do with the position of Parliamentarian defined in RONR. This might be a better avenue to explore (at least until you can get a new President). The problem with this, of course, is that you (and whatever other members you can talk into this) will likely have to pay out of your own pocket(s). Both the National Association of Parliamentarians and American Institute of Parliamentarians provide referrals. I would be sure to be clear about the details of this assignment.

Yes, that is correct, regarding a "floor parliamentarian," though I prefer the more melodramatic "coup master." :)

However, I should again state that in advising the organization as a whole, a parliamentarian should not be foisted upon an unwilling chair (p. 465, ll. 30-32). Knowing that there are some coup masters out there, however, might help him see the need for one serving the organization.

Archived