The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Signature of Minutes

Guest MarkS

As we progress electronically, the format of our minutes are changing. As the secretary, I usually type the minutes, they are signed by the Chairman of the Board and myself. Original is kept on file and copies are distributed at next meeting. The distribution used to be a hard copy, and is now a PDF. We are trying to go more paperless and the new program our adminstrative assistant is using to compile board information is easiest used if all the imported documents are Word documents. This brings up the issue of the signature: If we have original signed minutes on file, can we insert a bitmap image of the signatures into the Word document, or what is the correct way to denote that the minutes were signed?

Thank you!

Rev Ed: Scanning the in was what we were doing to create the PDF. Now the Administrative Assistant is asking for them in Word format to build a linkable document.

What sort of "linkable" document are you talking about? If you're simply posting them for the members to access, a link to a PDF would be better, since then the approved minutes would not be subject to someone editing them on a whim.

Sorry for being unclear on this.The "linkable" documents is actually a PDF. The links are in the package of information sent to the Board. The links are the table of contents that take them directly to the section they need, instead of having to scroll through pages. The problem is that the Admin Assistant is asking for Word document to build the presentation, then she converts that to the PDF with the links.

This brings up the issue of the signature: If we have original signed minutes on file, can we insert a bitmap image of the signatures into the Word document, or what is the correct way to denote that the minutes were signed?

To my mind, this level of detail is in the nature of an administrative rule, so it's the assembly's decision. (RONR, 11th ed., pg. 18)

Sorry David, this may not be parlimentary procedure, but since Roberts Rules of Order does discuss minutes and what should be included and the format, I thought this would be the place to do so. I'll go elsewhere.

Well, RONR does discuss minutes, but it doesn't quite get down to the "nuts and bolts" of your question. Since the text is silent, the assembly is free to choose whatever method it feels appropriate to handle this matter.

Archived