The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Reconsideration of Previous Motions

Guest Greg

Hi, I am currently the President of a Fraternity (so this may seem odd), however my question is regarding Motions to Reconsider.

At the beginning of the semester, it was moved and passed that "Chewing tobacco in the Chapter room is not permitted at any time." This may seem childish but we have several members (College students) who chew like it's a religion and don't believe it is unprofessional. Recently, we almost doubled our numbers and Member A moved "to allow chewing in the Chapter room" was brought back up. After it was seconded, Member A Called to Question, however it was denied and so was the motion. My question is, can this motion come back up in the future? Does it have to be moved to be reconsidered by a member who voted it down (RONRIB I believe talks about a motion to reconsider being during the same meeting)? And as the Chair, can I stop any future motions, due to it already being moved twice (Once to prohibit, Once to re-allow it)?

I am not extremely well versed in Roberts Rule of Order so this question may seem childish. Thank you very much.

The original motion was to prohibit chewing tobacco in the Chapter room. That adopted motion is subject to Rescission (getting rid of the rule altogether) or Amendment (changing it such as banning it at specific times and allowing it at other times). See RONR pp. 305-310 for details on the motions.

Hi, I am currently the President of a Fraternity (so this may seem odd), however my question is regarding Motions to Reconsider.

At the beginning of the semester, it was moved and passed that "Chewing tobacco in the Chapter room is not permitted at any time." This may seem childish but we have several members (College students) who chew like it's a religion and don't believe it is unprofessional. Recently, we almost doubled our numbers and Member A moved "to allow chewing in the Chapter room" was brought back up. After it was seconded, Member A Called to Question, however it was denied and so was the motion. My question is, can this motion come back up in the future? Does it have to be moved to be reconsidered by a member who voted it down (RONRIB I believe talks about a motion to reconsider being during the same meeting)? And as the Chair, can I stop any future motions, due to it already being moved twice (Once to prohibit, Once to re-allow it)?

I am not extremely well versed in Roberts Rule of Order so this question may seem childish. Thank you very much.

Your question is not uncommon, so no need to apologize.

No, the fact that the issue has already been discussed and voted on several times does not put it out of bound for future consideration. Members may continue to move to rescind or amend the original motion that prohibited chewing tobacco, and they may do so at every meeting. The motion to rescind, or amend something previously adopted has a higher vote margin than a plain vanilla motion -- it requires two-thirds vote without notice OR majority vote with notice OR majority vote of the entire membership. See the pages cited by Chris H. for more details.

If most of the members don't want to keep dealing with the motion, there are mechanisms to handle it very quickly each time it is brought up again; however, it is not proper to simply 'stop' the motion from being made.

Actually, you want the motion to Rescind. You're well past the time limit for the motion to Reconsider.

My question is, can this motion come back up in the future?

The motion "to allow chewing in the Chapter room" is out of order as it conflicts with a motion adopted by the assembly and still in force. A motion to Rescind the rule prohibiting chewing in the chapter room, however, is in order. If a member tries to make the "allow chewing" motion, the motion should be ruled out of order and the chair should inform the member that the motion to Rescind is the appropriate tool to achieve his object. The motion to Rescind requires a 2/3 vote or a vote of a majority of the entire membership without notice, or a majority vote with notice.

Does it have to be moved to be reconsidered by a member who voted it down (RONRIB I believe talks about a motion to reconsider being during the same meeting)?

The motion to Reconsider may only be made by a member on the prevailing side, however, you're past the time limit for the motion to Reconsider anyway (as you note). The motion to Rescind can be renewed at a later session by any member.

And as the Chair, can I stop any future motions, due to it already being moved twice (Once to prohibit, Once to re-allow it)?

No. The motion to Rescind the policy may be renewed at each new session. You may, however, ensure that the member properly makes the motion as a motion to Rescind rather than admitting a motion which conflicts with the policy.

If at least two-thirds of the members are in support of the existing policy (or are just sick of the debate), however, the motion can be quickly disposed of each time by ordering the Previous Question (or Call to Question). This motion is undebatable and requires a 2/3 vote and, if adopted, brings the motion to an immediate vote.

Archived