The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Nominations Closed according to Bylaws?

Guest Mark

Our Bylaws state..." The nomination process shall be held for two weeks, starting April 15 and ending May 1.... Elections shall take place at the first meeting after May 1st."

My understanding is that no further nominations can be made after the May 1 date.

Am I cirrect in my understanding?

drifting some more...

Can the bylaws unsuspendibly (if that's a word) forbid the suspension of what would otherwise be a suspendible rule of order? "The chair will recognize no member who is not wearing pink pyjamas--this rule may not be suspended."

Or does that fall into interpret your own custom bylaws territory? I know it's probably a dumb irresistible force vs unmovable object question...

drifting some more...

Can the bylaws unsuspendibly (if that's a word) forbid the suspension of what would otherwise be a suspendible rule of order? "The chair will recognize no member who is not wearing pink pyjamas--this rule may not be suspended."

Or does that fall into interpret your own custom bylaws territory? I know it's probably a dumb irresistible force vs unmovable object question...

Yes. The bylaws may make whatever rules the organization likes, and may do so in a fashion that they cannot be suspendable. The bylwas are both the irresistible force and the immovable object, here.

Yes, as the Bylaws trump RONR. Additionally, such a provision would presumably be intended to either protect the rights of individual members or of absentees, and therefore, could not be suspended even under the rules of RONR.

Or does that fall into interpret your own custom bylaws territory?

Well, the general principle is simple enough - the Bylaws trump RONR. The interpretation of a particular case would be an "interpret your own custom Bylaws territory."

I know it's probably a dumb irresistible force vs unmovable object question...

RONR is neither irresistible or unmovable (nor are the Bylaws, but they have more inertia than the parliamentary authority).

Archived