The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Language Changes Within Existing Bylaws

Guest eem2

As the outgoing parliamentarian, I have gone through my chapter bylaws and made some grammatical changes; changed words under different sections so there's consistency in the use of words and made changes so we're using the same terminology that's used in our national bylaws. Since none of these changes are substantive, can I make them without a vote from the organization?

No. Changes you consider not substantive may be considered substantive to other people and can inadvertently change the meaning of the passage. For example adding two simple commas to "The panda eats shoots and leaves" changes it from a description of the panda's dietary habits to describing one with anger issues.

As the outgoing parliamentarian, I have gone through my chapter bylaws and made some grammatical changes; changed words under different sections so there's consistency in the use of words and made changes so we're using the same terminology that's used in our national bylaws. Since none of these changes are substantive, can I make them without a vote from the organization?

RONR does not authorize the parliamentarian or any individual member or any officer to make changes to the bylaws. I also doubt your bylaws provide you such authority, but you can check.

Without some strange provision granting you this unusual authority, you won't be able to make changes, and what you have there is a recommendation or a proposal for amendment, which you shouldn't be making yourself, as parliamentarian, due to your duty to refrain from making motions and to preserve an appearance of impartiality.

Archived