The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Proxy Voting

Guest Guest

No. (RONR, p. 428)

Unless your applicable state law (if any) says otherwise.

It may also be helpful for the original poster to know that RONR (11th ed.) says that if such a procedural rule allows proxy voting to be prohibited by a provision of the bylaws, the adoption of RONR as parliamentary authority through prescription in the bylaws should be seen as sufficient to accomplish such a prohibition. That's on p. 429, ll. 10-14.

Yeah... but it says "should be seen as sufficient..."

When the progenitor of this phrase first showed up, in the 9th edition, it read "is treated as sufficient...", a much stronger assertion. The 10th ed. went to "should be..." leading me to conjecture that the A-Team was a tad dubious that they could get away with the "strong" statement.

There may be legal ramifications to all this that I know not of. If the law says "You must use proxies unless your bylaws say 'No' ", I'd recommend that the association put the "No" in their bylaws to actively prohibit use, and not depend on "should be seen" in RONR.

When the progenitor of this phrase first showed up, in the 9th edition, it read "is treated as sufficient...", a much stronger assertion. The 10th ed. went to "should be..." leading me to conjecture that the A-Team was a tad dubious that they could get away with the "strong" statement.

There may be legal ramifications to all this that I know not of. If the law says "You must use proxies unless your bylaws say 'No' ", I'd recommend that the association put the "No" in their bylaws to actively prohibit use, and not depend on "should be seen" in RONR.

That is certainly a valid point and good advice. However, it is the organization that decides the meaning of its own rules (until it is dragged into court, anyway), and that about how to perceive the meaning of the prohibition is contained in a document that the organization adopted in its bylaws.

That is certainly a valid point and good advice. However, it is the organization that decides the meaning of its own rules (until it is dragged into court, anyway), and that about how to perceive the meaning of the prohibition is contained in a document that the organization adopted in its bylaws.

As a matter of parliamentary law, it is sufficient, and upon judicial construction of an applicable statute, it should be treated as sufficient.

And can I presume that an explicit "No proxies" in the bylaws is no more guaranteed to "work" than the adoption of RONR (without any further bylaw mention of proxies)?

I don't think it wise to guarantee anything in this connection, but I do think that an explicit "No proxies" in the bylaws is probably the better bet.

It depends on specific facts, texts, and precedents?

Yes, I think this is essentially a correct statement.

Archived