The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Board Meetings...

Guest Joe

Regarding The American Legion...We have a problem. Does anyone know who is officially authorized to be present in an Executive Board meeting ? All members are allowed in General meetings, but are they also allowed to be present in the Executive Board meetings ? We have a couple of members who insist in sitting in the Executive Board meetings and some of us on the board are uncomfortable about discussing some issues in their presence. Any input is appreciated...

"but are they also allowed to be present in the Executive Board meetings ?"..

Non board members are "allowed" or "permitted" to attend the meeting at the tollerance of the executive board. Per RONR, the executive board has no obligation to allow non board members the opportunity to attend its meeting, unless some other rules applies.

By default Board meetings are generally held in Executive Session - thus only Board members are allowed to attend. Even if the meeting is not held in Executive Session, "outsiders" (i.e. anyone who is not a member of the Board) will generally only have the right to attend a meeting if invited or if statute or the organization's rules state otherwise. Even then the Board should be allowed to hold at least part of their meetings in Executive Session if there are sensitive issues to deal with.

Hi Rev:

There is a change with the lanqauge in 11th edition. The phrase in RONR/11: pg 95, line 26 is: "A meeting enters into executive session only when required by rule, or established custom, or upon a motion to do so."

The corresponding phrase in the 10th edition (page 92-93) was "..., by practice or sometimes by rule, membership meetings are open to the public, but board or committee meetings are customarily held in executive session," has been revised.

By default Board meetings are generally held in Executive Session - thus only Board members are allowed to attend.

Considering the lanquage change, I don't believe that I would agree with the statement about there is a "general" default that applies to all boards.

Archived