The Official RONR Q & A Forums

call for another vote (3 time) on an issue

Guest cindy

The membership voted down a building issue, a member that voted no then said I want to vote again and there was a vote again. It was voted down (all in the same day). Two months later some on the board want a vote on the building. Is that possible? When is the issue a dead issue......

The membership voted down a building issue, a member that voted no then said I want to vote again and there was a vote again. It was voted down (all in the same day). Two months later some on the board want a vote on the building. Is that possible? When is the issue a dead issue......

The motion can be renewed (made again) at every meeting, no matter how often it is voted down. If the majority of members get sick of hearing it, they can learn to deal with it quite expeditiously when it comes up. However, it is still proper to make the motion again, and again, and again... it does not become a 'dead issue' in a parliamentary sense.

edited to add:

Mr. Britton's response brings up another point which I didn't notice on first reading -- if the first two votes were taken by the general membership, and if a different body (the board) is now trying to bring the issue up again, that introduces another concern entirely. In general, the board of an organization is a subordinate body, and does not have authority to overturn a decision made by the general membership. If that's the situation, it's not the number of times you vote on the matter that's the problem -- it's the fact that an unauthorized body may be trying to bring the matter up again.

Take a look at Official Interpretation 2006-12

The membership voted down a building issue, a member that voted no then said I want to vote again and there was a vote again. It was voted down (all in the same day).

It's probably spilt milk over the dam now, but once the motion was defeated it should not have been voted on again except by means of a parliamentary process that brings a question before the assembly again, such as Reconsider. A member just saying they wanted to have another vote is questionable, but it's old news now, I guess.

A subordinate board may not consider a motion which was defeated by the membership. The motion may be introduced at a future meeting of the membership, and this can be repeated indefinitely.

THANK YOU!!! for your comments. I needed them! The second vote was a reconsider, so I think that was done correctly. I will move forward with making sure the motion is made from the membership. and the vote is by the membership. Thanks for the help

Cindy

Archived