The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Not Sure

Guest Chris

Not sure if I am in the right forum, but figured I would give it a shot anyway.

My Union president is currently looking for reimbursement from a convention that she attended. She wound up taking her daughter along.

When she returned she submitted to our treasurer receipts for more than $500.00 for food and room. Now I know that Union will pay for the room, but the food bills are what the treasurer is questioning. She expects reimbursement for her daughters meals too. What she calls "past practice," she has been president for 8 years.

Like I said, I know this might not be the right forum, but can this be right, or even legal? Any answer can help.....Can we use Union dues, for a non Union Member. If there is anyone on here who can give me an answer that I can bring back would be very helpful.

Thanks

Like I said, I know this might not be the right forum, but can this be right, or even legal? Any answer can help.....Can we use Union dues, for a non Union Member. If there is anyone on here who can give me an answer that I can bring back would be very helpful.

Nothing in RONR would prohibit any of the proposed reimbursements. Any such prohibition would come from your own rules or from applicable law. Check your rules for the former and consult a lawyer if you're concerned about the latter.

Nothing in RONR would prohibit any of the proposed reimbursements. Any such prohibition would come from your own rules or from applicable law. Check your rules for the former and consult a lawyer if you're concerned about the latter.

I think it's worth adding that nothing in RONR specifically allows them either, and any permission to be reimbursed in such a manner would also have to come from your rules or applicable law. If the rules are unclear, then the governing body of your organization should make a decision.

My Union president is currently looking for reimbursement from a convention that she attended. She wound up taking her daughter along.

When she returned she submitted to our treasurer receipts for more than $500.00 for food and room. Now I know that Union will pay for the room, but the food bills are what the treasurer is questioning. She expects reimbursement for her daughters meals too. What she calls "past practice," she has been president for 8 years.

Even if the organization has done this in the past, that past practice is not binding on the organization today (p. 19, ll. 6-9).

Usually when "past practice" is brought up in the context of labor unions (and management) and cba's it refers to practices by one party that are implicitly condoned by the other party over a period of time though not explicitly addressed in the cba. If it happens over a period of time, it can become a binding condition. But one party's practices with no bearing on the other is a different animal.

As this is an RONR forum, JJ's reference to "custom" is probably the closest thing you're going to find. But I doubt it's what your president has in mind when she claims "past practice".

Archived