The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspendability of a rule adopting a parliamentary authority

Sean Hunt

" Accordingly, a special rule of order could be adopted authorizing mail balloting."

Question to your answer. If these same bylaws provided for a mail ballot for the election of the board of directors, would they therein prohibit any other form of mail balloting, not specified in the bylaws?

The exact language of the bylaws is obviously important, but I think the answer to your question is probably provided by Principle of Interpretation 4: "If the bylaws authorize certain things specifically, other things of the same class are thereby prohibited." RONR (11th ed.), p. 589, ll. 33-34 (emphasis in original). Carefully read the explanatory paragraph that follows, p. 589, l. 34 to p. 590, l. 8.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a mistake to refer to the motion that adopted the parliamentary authority as a RULE that adopted the PA.

In a convention, many rules are adopted at once, and there is clearly no RULE adopting those rules. Just because RONR is neatly printed and professionally bound, doesn't change the fact that when an assembly adopts it, it is actually adopting all of the rules contained in it, as opposed to adopting a rule that those rules be adopted.

As Burke pointed out, the PA is adopted by the same vote as is required to adopt a special rule of order... which is different than adopting a special rule of order.

I think it's a mistake to refer to the motion that adopted the parliamentary authority as a RULE that adopted the PA.

In a convention, many rules are adopted at once, and there is clearly no RULE adopting those rules. Just because RONR is neatly printed and professionally bound, doesn't change the fact that when an assembly adopts it, it is actually adopting all of the rules contained in it, as opposed to adopting a rule that those rules be adopted.

As Burke pointed out, the PA is adopted by the same vote as is required to adopt a special rule of order... which is different than adopting a special rule of order.

I think, techically, you could adopt a whole series of rules at once, in a single codified document.

Archived