The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignations

Guest care

If we don't have any specifications in our bylaws for resignations, what is the correct way to handle them for board members? Do we have to "accept" resignation by vote? We haven't done this with past board members. It has always been if they send in writing a resignation, it was just accepted and the positions filled, never a vote. DESPERATE insight needed.

A resignation is a request to be excused from a duty. The resignation needs to be accepted to take effect. So, yes, voting to accept a resignation is proper. The resignation could be accepted by unanimous consent (in which case no voting takes place), but it should be accepted. Now, once the vacancy has been filled, then the resignation has been acted upon, even though the process was sloppy.

Keep in mind that the resignation can only properly be accepted by the body (or person) with the authority to fill the vacancy. So, if your bylaws grant the board the power to fill vacancies, then the board can accept resignations and fill vacancies. If the general membership is to fill vacancies (or if the bylaws are silent on how to fill vacancies on the board), then the authority to accept a resignation and to fill the vacancy remains with the general membership.

Why is there a desparate need for insight? Is there some controversy about accepting a particular resignation? If so, more details might help.

The resignation could be accepted by unanimous consent (in which case no voting takes place), but it should be accepted.

I understand what you're saying but it should be made clear that it's also possible to reject a resignation (however rare an occurrence that might be).

Our VP resigned by text and email to the entire board. The board has the ability to fill vacancies by resignation according to the bylaws. The reason I ask is because another board member's husband had made a comment that was that since we haven't filled his position yet, then he still needs to know what is going on with the board.

There obviously are other issues that have come up which is why he resigned.

The reason I ask is because another board member's husband had made a comment that was that since we haven't filled his position yet, then he still needs to know what is going on with the board.

Well, it's not because you haven't filled the vacancy. It's the fact that (apparently) his resignation hasn't been formally accepted (or rejected) that keeps him on the board (with all the rights of membership).

Our VP resigned by text and email to the entire board. The board has the ability to fill vacancies by resignation according to the bylaws. The reason I ask is because another board member's husband had made a comment that was that since we haven't filled his position yet, then he still needs to know what is going on with the board.

There obviously are other issues that have come up which is why he resigned.

Yes, just accept the resignation (assuming that's what the board wants to do). That is an action quite independent from filling the vacancy, which can be done separately and at a later time.

Also, keep in mind that until the resignation (the request to be excused from a duty) is acted upon, it can be withdrawn. There are times when it is wise to act promptly in accepting a resignation.

• 2 months later...

Here is my question in relation to this topic: A board member of our league resigned on 3/18/12 via a post. She stated she was also taking a leave of absence from the league. Her resignation was accepted at that time. Approximately 4 hours later she stated she would help with the duties of the position until it was filled (we will fill on 4/1/12). Is this appropriate and will she still have voting rights until she is replaced?

Here is my question in relation to this topic: A board member of our league resigned on 3/18/12 via a post.

What does this mean?

Her resignation was accepted at that time.

What do you mean it "was accepted?" Did the Board or membership hole a meeting and vote on whether to accept her resignation (which per RONR is a Request to be Excused from a Duty, and is not automatic)?

It was in our online forum and we all verbally acknowledged.

How do you verbally respond in an online forum where I would assume the method of communication is you type something and the words pop up on someone's computer screen? :)

;

And she announced it in front of the league as well.

I am assuming you also are Michelle G. If so, the question still remains. Was the resignation formally accepted by a vote. Someone just saying "I resign" in front of the league won't necessarily get the job done if no formal action was taken on it.

Archived