The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Official Notification to membership

Guest Roc & Ron

As President of the organization I had notified the membership, via our October Newsletter, the official method of notification to the membership, which is mailed out every two (2) months, that the following changes to our C&B, as fully printed in this Newsletter, would be discussed and acted upon at the next regularly scheduled meeting of November XX, 2011. This newsletter was of course mailed out prior to the November meeting.

However at the November XX meeting, I had to advise everyone in attendance that no action can be taken tonight, since we did not meet the thirty (30) day notification requirement, because the newsletter was mailed out too late. I stated that they would also not be acted upon at the December XX meeting, since that was a joint meeting with several other parts of our organization and youngsters in attendance. Therefore the only time they can be acted upon would be at the January XX meeting.

At the January meeting, a challenge to my procedure was made, and I took no action on the matter. But I took the position that we did a disservice to the group who submitted the properly formatted changes in the first place, in October. They will have to now wait until the February Newsletter, and possibly the March or April meeting, depending on the mailing process, for action to be taken.

My question:

Was the original notification in October sufficient to allow a vote to be taken in January, since the matter was discussed at the November meeting, and briefly at the December meeting? Of course not EVERY member attended either or both of those 2 meetings. Or should there have been a new notification to the membership printed in the January Newsletter, which was not done?

Since, I presume from what you described, your October notice specified the November meeting for the consideration of the C&B amendments, and you weren't (unfortunately) able to take the amendments up then, I'd say that is the end of it, and the October notice will not suffice for consideration at any later meeting.

You will need to simply restart the process with the February newsletter. Be sure it goes out on time!

Meanwhile recheck your bylaws to be sure there is no alternative "official notice" procedure available: RONR, p. 121 ff. shows two methods, but if your bylaws allow you only one method (newsletter) then that is it.

As President of the organization I had notified the membership... that the following changes to our C&B... would be... acted upon at the next regularly scheduled meeting of November XX, 2011.

My question:

Was the original notification in October sufficient to allow a vote to be taken in January,

Constitution and Bylaws can only be amended in accordance with the provisions for their amendment. So, the wording of the provisions for amendment are essential.

However, you stated that notice (though insufficient) was given that amendment would take place at the November meeting. You don't really think that counts as notice for the January meeting; do you?

Archived