The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive board meetings

Guest Mary Whigham

Our club defines our executive board as all officers of the club, department presidents and a representative of the library board. They meet once a month and are empowered to conduct the necessary business of the club, reporting on anything that must be approved by the club. My question is, there being no specific exclusion, are these board meetings open to all members of the club?

Our club defines our executive board as all officers of the club, department presidents and a representative of the library board. They meet once a month and are empowered to conduct the necessary business of the club, reporting on anything that must be approved by the club. My question is, there being no specific exclusion, are these board meetings open to all members of the club?

No, only board members have a right to attend board meetings, according to RONR. The club can adopt a rule saying otherwise, and, even without such a rule, the board can allow nonmembers to attend.

Thanks, our group has no stated policy and if we allow nonmembers to attend, I know they can't "vote" on any items, but should we allow for their input, perhaps at the beginning. I am also a member of our city library board and we allow at the beginning of each board meeting (which must be posted a week in advance) what we call "Citizen's Input."

... but should we allow for their input, perhaps at the beginning.

That is entirely up to you and your board, collectively.

.. I am also a member of our city library board and we allow at the beginning of each board meeting (which must be posted a week in advance) what we call "Citizen's Input."

That may be a matter of the law in your city. ask your lawyer, if you have one, or the city attorney.

Archived