The Official RONR Q & A Forums

vote of no confidence

Chubner

I am involved in an organization that i do not feel that certain board members are elected properly. If run unopposed (and its not a slate that is presented) then it only takes 1 vote to be elected to the board. I and others in the organization feel that if the "no" votes are taken into consideration that these individuals would not be in office. The by laws are very vague and not helpful.

Would a vote of no confidence be appropriate for this situation? if yes what is the proper procedure to call a vote of no confidence?

I am involved in an organization that i do not feel that certain board members are elected properly. If run unopposed (and its not a slate that is presented) then it only takes 1 vote to be elected to the board. I and others in the organization feel that if the "no" votes are taken into consideration that these individuals would not be in office. The by laws are very vague and not helpful.

Would a vote of no confidence be appropriate for this situation? if yes what is the proper procedure to call a vote of no confidence?

What do you mean by this -- is this the standard that has been applied in the organization -- if there is at least one 'yes' vote, then the person is elected? As noted by others, it is not appropriate to vote 'no' in an election. You don't vote 'yes' or 'no' -- you vote for candidates.

there are no write in options and the individual was unopposed

If the candidate is unopposed, and if the bylaws do not specify that the election must be conducted by ballot, then the unopposed candidate should just be declared elected by acclamation. If a vote by ballot is required, then the election must be conducted by ballot, even if there is just one candidate.

Are write-in votes prohibited in the bylaws?

there are no write in options and the individual was unopposed

Then either change the rules (i.e. amend the bylaws) to permit write-ins or nominate someone else so the sole candidate won't be unopposed. Once elected your only recourse might be removal from office (see FAQ #20) unless you can find some serious improprieties in the electoral process (and not just the fact that you don't like the outcome).

can a vote of no confidence be called ?

Well, sure, if you still think there's much point to it after reading FAQ #7.

Also, take a look at FAQ #20, if you actually want to remove the not-very-popular individual from office (depending on how the terms of office are defined, that may or may not be a straightforward process). However, if you do remove him/her, you would then have to conduct an election to elect someone to the office -- hopefully you have more potential candidates available than the last time around.

CHRIS!

If you're still there, please answer David's and Trina's question!

I point out that your post #10, of 06:51 PM yesterday, did NOT answer the question.

Please quote what your bylaws say about write-ins. Please do not paraphrase again. Please do not describe the general process that your group uses again. PLease quote the bylaws.

(My head swims to be asking that. But Chris I beg you. David's and Trina's sanity might depend on it.)

Archived