The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Does a committee recomendation need a second?

Guest Dudley Piland

Guest Dudley Piland

When a Chair of a committee makes a recommendation formulated for the work of the committee, the Chair can recognize it as a motion. Does it require a second like all other motions or is exempted because it is the committee's concensus?

I have always recognized the committee chair and given them the honor of making a motion based on their committee's work. I also called for a second. I had a Board member indicate a second was not necessary because the motion came from a committee appointed by the Board. Can someone help me or point me to the appropriate section that I can resolve this debate?

When a Chair of a committee makes a recommendation formulated for the work of the committee, the Chair can recognize it as a motion. Does it require a second like all other motions or is exempted because it is the committee's concensus?

Can someone help me or point me to the appropriate section that I can resolve this debate?

RONR (11th ed.) p. 507 ll. 18-19 (and also follow the reference back to p. 36).

There was also a recent thread discussing this question -- I'll post a link if I come across it.

Here's the thread I was thinking of (although it does wander off on tangents a bit):

Archived