The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Removal of secretary while absent

Guest Guest_Fuchs

I belong to a small commitee who is not governed by any concrete bi-laws as we are in out first year. Our executive is made up of 4 members who were elected by general vote at the first membership meeting of the year.

At the last meeting it was moved and voted to remove our secretary, due to her missing meetings. What governing rules should have been used here, as I don't beleive this was done properly.

I belong to a small commitee who is not governed by any concrete bi-laws as we are in out first year. Our executive is made up of 4 members who were elected by general vote at the first membership meeting of the year.

At the last meeting it was moved and voted to remove our secretary, due to her missing meetings. What governing rules should have been used here, as I don't beleive this was done properly.

Was this vote conducted by the membership that elected the secretary? If the 'executive' tried to do this, it would almost certainly be invalid. Depending on how the term of office is described, it may be appropriate for the general membership to vote the officer out. However, if you don't have bylaws, who knows... what do you mean by 'not governed by any concrete bi-laws as we are in out first year'? Without bylaws, you don't really have an organization yet.

Take a look at FAQ #20, to see if that addresses your question at all. Without bylaws specifying the term of office, however, the parliamentary situation seems awfully vague.

Archived