The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Conflict of interest between organization and task force?

Guest Dennis Bacon

An organization has their concern debating over conflict of interest.

A person have been on a task force coalition without any organization for two years. He is a chairperson/member.

The motion made that the task force coalition connected to that organization. The motion carried.

He become a new treasurer of that organization. He still is on task force members. Is it a conflict of interest?

Another question-

Board of Officers can make a motion that they have no longer to involve in that task force coaltion. The motion carried by Board of Officers. I thought it should be by the members ... not board of officers, right?

As for the "conflict" question: I personally see no conflict with the organization's Treasurer being on a Task Force for the organization. But at the end of the day it would be up to the organization to decide. Who appoints the members to the task force? The Board, the President, or the general members? The appointing body could appoint someone else to the task force instead if they felt it was too much of a conflict.

As for the second question, what responsibilities does the Board have? The By-laws will tell you that. The Board may or may not have the power to make this type of decision.

As for the "conflict" question: I personally see no conflict with the organization's Treasurer being on a Task Force for the organization. But at the end of the day it would be up to the organization to decide. Who appoints the members to the task force? The Board, the President, or the general members? The appointing body could appoint someone else to the task force instead if they felt it was too much of a conflict.

General members nominated them as being on the task force. We voted to have minimum 7 members on task forces. So far we have 4 members on it. We still search more members but no luck to recruit more members on it. As far we have 4 members and we moved on and investiaged the case. If 4 members on task force, the task force is no good or still standing?

As for the second question, what responsibilities does the Board have? The By-laws will tell you that. The Board may or may not have the power to make this type of decision.

As I read By-Laws, they have no power to make that decision. What about Robert of order will tell Board having this power?

General members nominated them as being on the task force. We voted to have minimum 7 members on task forces. So far we have 4 members on it. We still search more members but no luck to recruit more members on it. As far we have 4 members and we moved on and investiaged the case. If 4 members on task force, the task force is no good or still standing?

As I read By-Laws, they have no power to make that decision. What about Robert of order will tell Board having this power?

Archived