The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is the Annual Treasurer's Report part of the Minutes of the Annual Membership Meeting?

Guest Loose

We have a new Treasurer who maintains he is not responsible for record-keeping before his tenure. The document in question is the last Annual Treasurer's Report which he says he does not have a copy of. Meanwhile the Secretary says she doesn't know anything about it - it's not her responsibility!

Just who is responsible?

On re-reading the section in RONR dealing with duties of the treasurer (p. 461), long-term custody of past reports is not in there (although, in my experience, the treasurer of a small organization will usually inherit at least one large box full of assorted records, passed down from previous treasurers, just in case any of it is ever needed again for reference :) ). On the other hand, on p. 460 (Records of the Secretary) it seems clear that the secretary does have the duty of keeping copies of written reports that are received.

That being said, it seems the most important thing, initially, is just to find the report. Has the previous treasurer been asked if he/she can be helpful in finding a copy?

Also, if the bylaws say anything about record-keeping, the bylaws supersede whatever is said in RONR on the matter.

What do your bylaws say? What happened to the report from the last treasurer? Was there an audit?

No there was not an audit. Never has been one. I asked for one/am given the run around by Chairman. He says we can't afford CPA. When I suggest Audit Committee he says he doesn't want members involved in "our" finances. I was kicked off the board before I thought to recommend an Audit Committee comprised of board members.

We went through three treasurers who weren't doing their jobs and weren't conveying information to their successors. Gap in data. Oh well.

No there was not an audit. Never has been one. I asked for one/am given the run around by Chairman. He says we can't afford CPA. When I suggest Audit Committee he says he doesn't want members involved in "our" finances. I was kicked off the board before I thought to recommend an Audit Committee comprised of board members.

We went through three treasurers who weren't doing their jobs and weren't conveying information to their successors. Gap in data. Oh well.

PS

The bylaws say "The Corporation shall keep at its principal office copies of correct and adequate records of account and finances." Otherwise it is mum on the subject. Treasurer's duties are to be responsible for funds - custody of, receive and give receipts for monies, deposit monies and in general perform duties incident to office or such other duties as from time to time may be assigned." That's it.

On re-reading the section in RONR dealing with duties of the treasurer (p. 461), long-term custody of past reports is not in there (although, in my experience, the treasurer of a small organization will usually inherit at least one large box full of assorted records, passed down from previous treasurers, just in case any of it is ever needed again for reference :) ). On the other hand, on p. 460 (Records of the Secretary) it seems clear that the secretary does have the duty of keeping copies of written reports that are received.

That being said, it seems the most important thing, initially, is just to find the report. Has the previous treasurer been asked if he/she can be helpful in finding a copy?

Also, if the bylaws say anything about record-keeping, the bylaws supersede whatever is said in RONR on the matter.

Right - let's keep our eyes on the goal - getting the info vs. paddling people. I will see what I can get from outgoing so-called treasurer. Thanks for help.

Archived