The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Per capita meaning in bylaws

Guest Mary Whigham

From the State Bylaws: "Membership in TFWC shall consist of Women’s Clubs whose work and purpose are germane to the objects of TFWC. Membership shall be classified as follows:

A. General Clubs: Those clubs whose members pay per capita dues to TFWC and GFWC."

Our club is a general club and a member for many years. Does this statement in the state bylaws preclude our club from having another "level" of membership, i.e. one whose dues are used to support the local library. Dues being the same amount in each case. Thanks, Mary

Roberts states the bylaws of the subordinate unit need to conform to those of a superior body only on clearly requisite points. ...but the subordinate unit should not adopt provisions from the othr document that have no local application and the bylaws of the superior body should not require it to do so. Our local club's mission is to support the library we formed in 1901 and our Constitution states we shall be members of TFWC/GFWC. It would seem to me that there is no reason for the state (superior body) to object to a 2nd class of members whose dues go to support the library. Is my thinking on point?

Archived