The Official RONR Q & A Forums

MEETINGS: EFFECT OF APOLOGY

Guest JD

I don't know where i got this idea from, but can anyone help me. If the quorum requirements are 50% what effect does the letters of apologies have on it, if any.

My question is thus as follows: If a member sends in an apology to say he cant make it and the total number of members are now 49%, can that apology be counted to make up the quorum, or is there no quorum at all?

if not, why is there then a requirement at all to make apologies in writing?

what purpose does apologies then serve?

JD

I don't know where i got this idea from, but can anyone help me. If the quorum requirements are 50% what effect does the letters of apologies have on it, if any.

My question is thus as follows: If a member sends in an apology to say he cant make it and the total number of members are now 49%, can that apology be counted to make up the quorum, or is there no quorum at all?

JD

There is no such requirement in RONR. Thus, we can't say why your organization (?) has this requirement.

As noted, any requirement for apologies does not come from RONR. Is it in your bylaws or rules? If so then your membership will need to determine their effect and purpose. Some Principles of Interpretation can be found on pp. 588-591 in RONR (11th Ed.). Per RONR, a quorum is the minimum number of members that must be present at a meeting. An absence, apologized for or not, is an absence unless your rules deem it otherwise.

Archived