The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Apeal and Unfounded Complaint

Guest Guest

A complaint was made against a member. The President determined there was insufficient evidence to confirm the complaint and notified the accused that the matter was closed. The complainant requested to appeal that decision and requested all written documents in advance.

By-Laws state the society will develop a disciplinary policy to include due process, fact finding, and appeal and that the membership shall be the final decider. The society's disciplinary policy describes offenses, their punishment, and procedure for handling including appeal.

I've never heard of an accuser being able to appeal, is that possible?

Doesn't it violate the accused's privacy to provide the accuser with all documentation of the inquiry?

Please point me in the right direction to find any applicable references.

Thanks!

You appear to have customized disciplinary procedures. Did the organization follow its own procedures (for example, is it actually the President's job to determine if there is sufficient evidence when a complaint is made)?

Since you have your own defined procedures, what help are you hoping to get from the rules in RONR? Your own rules supersede what is said in the parliamentary authority.

I've never heard of an accuser being able to appeal, is that possible?

Apparently so.

Doesn't it violate the accused's privacy to provide the accuser with all documentation of the inquiry?

Maybe so but RONR deals with parliamentary procedure and doesn't grant any right to privacy.

Please point me in the right direction to find any applicable references.

Look to your own customized rules.

Archived