The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bias Letter From B.A. Recomending to vote on merger

Guest John

Can A elected Official, B.A. who pass out work or executive board member of a union recomend the body to vote for merger in letter that was sent with vote ballot for the merger, when elected official B.A. is member of the mergeing local.

So the B.A. and Excutive Board members can express his own opinion on union letter head that is mailed in with the merger ballot payed by the local. But if i want express my opinion I have to pay for the paper, envolopes and postage. If this is true, it is very disheartening.

Thank You, Wonk I appreciate your speedy answer.

John C.

So the B.A. and Excutive Board members can express his own opinion on union letter head that is mailed in with the merger ballot payed by the local. But if i want express my opinion I have to pay for the paper, envolopes and postage. If this is true, it is very disheartening.

I think one thing you want to be clear about regarding Gary's answer is that nothing in RONR would preclude this action/behavior. That is not to say that RONR would endorse it, or validate it either. If the B.A. wanted to wear feety pajamas and dance around in the street singing The Elephant Song, RONR would not stop him either.

If the membership feels his behavior warrants disciplinary action, that option can be explored by them.

Well, whether they can or can't do this will require a bit more research. RONR simply does not get into this level of administrative detail. It has no rules on this subject one way or the other. Your union may have rules on it, however, and if it doesn't, it can adopt some.

Archived