The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Appending documents to official minutes

Guest RobbieTang

The president of a very contentious board wants to add a statement to the corporation's minutes.

Assuming that, by "the corporation's minutes",.you're referring to the minutes of a board meeting, it's up to the board to accept or reject this request. I'd vote "no".

The president of a very contentious board wants to add a statement to the corporation's minutes.

I should also note that my previous answer assumes the president wants his statement included in the minutes. As far as I know there's no protocol for "attaching" a document to the minutes. It's either in the minutes or it's not.

No one has unilateral authority to add a statement to the minutes (not the president, not any other single member). There are no magic words or rules to invoke that will make this happen.

As Edgar says, you need the approval of the body whose minutes would be affected by the addition of the statement. So, the president could ask that his statement be included in the minutes. The body would then process this motion, like any other motion.

Archived